Thursday, July 25, 2013

Creamy Dreamy Coconut Paletas





  This is another variation on one of my favorite summer treats, the paleta. Paletas (if you haven't seen my very 1st blog on Spiced Peachy Paletas) are mexican ice pops. There are countless variations that you can have fun with. Coconut is one of my FAVORITE flavors ever. It's a magic ingredient that will get me to buy anything from lotion, to flan just by mentioning the word.

 These are hands down the best ice pop I have ever had. HANDS DOWN, people. That's a very strong statement for a person like me. And they are so easy to make it seems almost too good to be true! Such fabulous creamy coconut flavor, the right balance of sweetness, and the killer chew from the toasted coconut puts it over the top. I don't recommend using light coconut milk, at least the 1st time you make them otherwise you don't get the full effect of flavor & texture. Sometimes you have to get over your "diet" and enjoy whole foods. Sooo worth every bite. I'm for sure making another batch because the ones in my freezer will not last long. It almost makes me mad at myself for getting dessert at the restaurant on date night tonight because I am too full to have one right now!! Oh well.. until tomorrow. Life's rough, huh? ;)


Creamy Dreamy Coconut Paletas
Adapted from Fany Gerson

Makes about 10 ice pops

1 (13.5 oz) can whole coconut milk
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup half & half
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 c toasted coconut, lightly toasted



Place all ingredients except toasted coconut into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the toasted coconut.

  
Carefully pour into your popcicle molds (leave a timy bit of room at the top because they expand as they freeze.


 After about 30-45 minutes, when they start to partially freeze, you can insert sticks and freeze until solid, about 4-5 hours. (I had a bit of drama when I was making these. It was 8pm and I didn't realize that I tossed all my popsicle sticks before we moved, so I improvised and found some cake dowels that worked in a pinch! Sometimes you have to be creative) 


Dip your molds into a bath of hot water for a few seconds and gently pull out the popsicles. Then close your eyes and envision yourself lying on the beach in Maui eating this with the wind blowing through your hair...ooooooohh yeah. 


 My toughest critic thoroughly approved ;)
Creamy Dreamy Coconut Paletas
Adapted from Fany Gerson

Makes about 10 ice pops

1 (13.5 oz) can whole coconut milk
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup half & half
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 c toasted coconut, lightly toasted

Place all ingredients except toasted coconut into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the toasted coconut. Carefully pour into your popcicle molds (leave a timy bit of room at the top because they expand as they freeze.
 After about 30-45 minutes, when they start to partially freeze, you can insert sticks and freeze until solid, about 4-5 hours. Dip your molds into a bath of hot water for a few seconds and gently pull out the popsicles. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment