Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Herby Buttermilk Dressing


Let's have a serious talk about why you are still buying bottled salad dressings...come on! I can probably think of 3, maybe 4 respectable bottled dressings and not one of them is a basic dressing like Balsamic Vinaigrette, Bleu Cheese, or Ranch. By far the 3 most popular American salad dressings and not one of these you should EVER buy in a bottle. Salad dressings are ridiculously easy to make and there's no saving even the best salad ingredients from a bad dressing. Am I right?? Of course I am. If you didn't believe I had any sort of culinary authority, you wouldn't be here reading this. ;)

This recipe is basically ranch dressing done WAAAAY right. I just can't get past bottled dressings!! I CAN'T!! This dressing has everything you love about Ranch dressing and leaves out a lot of the fat and calories you don't want. (And it just happened that way by chance...take one look at me and you can see I don't go for that low-fat with no flavor thing) I enjoy my food! 

 Herby, garlicky, creamy delicious dressing is absolutely killer tossed in a salad with a few bleu cheese crumbles, cherry tomatoes, avocado, maybe some shaved red onion....but something about this dressing with bleu cheese crumbles.....(hold please....dreaming about it......) 

Ahhh. There it is.

Chris & I are currently obsessed. Normally we are all over the vinaigrettes, occasionally we will splurge and I'll make my yummy bleu cheese dressing, but never ranch. I was just in a mood one day for something "Ranch-esk" (totally not a word) and this was sooo good. I will be making a large batch so I can give to my sister who also appreciates the importance of a quality dressing. Lucky her.

Herby Buttermilk Dressing (Makes about 1 cup)

1/2 cup sour cream (reduced fat would work fine)
1/4 cup mayo (I used Olive Oil Mayo to save on calories)
2 Tbs chive, chopped
2 Tbs parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried dill (or 1 Tbs fresh)
2-3 garlic cloves
 3-4 Tbs buttermilk (depending on the consistency you want)
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper



Add all ingredients except buttermilk into a small food processor, or blender. Puree until smooth. Add buttermilk to reach desired consistency.


Check for seasoning. May need a bit more salt & pepper. It's ready to serve right away, but I like to let it sit in the fridge while I finish dinner so it can meld the flavors a bit. (Even better the next day!)

YUMYY!!!!!

 

Herby Buttermilk Dressing (Makes about 1 cup)

1/2 cup sour cream (reduced fat would work fine)
1/4 cup mayo (I used Olive Oil Mayo to save on calories)
2 Tbs chive, chopped
2 Tbs parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried dill (or 1 Tbs fresh)
2-3 garlic cloves (depending on your taste)
3-4 Tbs buttermilk (depending on the consistency you want)
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper

   Add all ingredients except buttermilk into a small food processor, or blender. Puree until smooth. Add buttermilk to reach desired consistency.

  Check for seasoning. May need a bit more salt & pepper. It's ready to serve right away, but I like to let it sit in the fridge while I finish dinner so it can meld the flavors a bit. (Even better the next day!)


No comments:

Post a Comment