Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chili-Lime Shrimp w/Southwest Grits

   When I go to the Farmers Market and see the amazing array of produce in the summer, I get really excited. One of my all time favorites to pick up is sweet corn. 9 times out of 10 I will grill it because I can't resist that smoky char that you get with those sweet kernels. Well, the other day my dad came over (as he frequently does) and I decided to BBQ which of course included my grilled corn. Chris told me he was heading to a poker game and not going to be able to make dinner so I now had some extra grilled corn on my hands....what to do....

   I remembered I had some frozen wild shrimp in my freezer and I bought some grits the other day. BINGO! Shrimp & Grits with southwest twist, perfect. Let me tell you these grits came out even better than I had hoped. Chris shamlessly helped himself to seconds and I couldn't blame him! They were cheesy & creamy, perfectly spiced with the cumin & cilantro. The pop of the grilled corn sends it over the top. Please enjoy this recipe. I know we did!!

A southern classic taken a little to the "west".
   So let's talk grits for a sec. Grits are simply ground white corn. They are cheap, easy to make and delicious! Polenta (it's Italian cousin) is ground yellow corn. Tastes the same, looks different. Yes, you can easily make this recipe with polenta instead of grits if you must ;) I bought these Stone Ground Grits at good old Trader Joes and the best part is they were creamy and tender in about 15 min! Mommy loves that!


Southwest Shrimp & Grits (serves 2-3)

Shrimp:
24 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp lime zest

Grits:
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 red onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
1 ear of corn, cut off the the cob (preferably grilled, but steamed is ok too)
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbs butter
1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup stone ground grits
1/2 cup sharp cheddar
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper

  
So start by heating the butter & oil in a medium saute pan. Add the red pepper flakes & cumin just to release some flavor. About 30 seconds. Add the onion & garlic and cook until tender (about 2-3 min). Next add half of the corn and saute 1 min.


Deglaze with the chicken stock, making sure you scrape all the spices from the bottom of the pan. (like my fun measuring cup?? courtesy of my in-laws and the MIT gift shop)


   This is where you bring the liquid to a boil, but "mommy duty" calls and it was where I took a bathtime/bedtime break. (these are how all my meals go now a days: cook, stop and do mommy things, finish cooking. I make it happen, people!)


    Back to grits: after the stock is boiling, slowly whisk in the grits (to avoid any lumps). Switch to a wooden spoon and stir frequently and cook until grits are almost tender and creamy, about 10 minutes or so. Add the milk and continue to cook 5-10 minutes. Fold in the remaining corn, cilantro, cheddar cheese, salt & pepper to taste. (Make sure you TASTE! It's such an important step to do along the way with all cooking and very few actually do it) Set aside and keep warm.


Moving on to the shrimp

    Toss the shrimp in olive oil, chili powder, lime zest & salt


   In a medium saute pan, heat pan on high heat. Add the shrimp and saute until slightly firm and throughly cooked, about 3-4 minutes. I added a bit too much oil than I would have liked so they are a little shiny in this pic.

   Now, assemble! Spoon your creamy lusicous grits and top with your spiced up shrimp. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro if you are feeling fancy.

Chili-Lime Shrimp w/Southwest Grits (serves 2-3)
Shrimp:
24 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp lime zest
Grits:
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 red onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs cilantro, chopped
1 ear of corn, cut off the the cob (preferably grilled, but steamed is ok too)
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbs butter
1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup stone ground grits
1/2 cup sharp cheddar
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper


   Heat the butter & oil in a medium saute pan. Add the red pepper flakes & cumin just to release some flavor. About 30 seconds. Add the onion & garlic and cook until tender (about 2-3 min). Next add half of the corn and saute 1 min.

  Deglaze with the chicken stock, making sure you scrape all the spices from the bottom of the pan.
stock is boiling, slowly whisk in the grits (to avoid any lumps). Switch to a wooden spoon and stir frequently and cook until grits are almost tender and creamy, about 10 minutes or so. Add the milk and continue to cook 5-10 minutes. Fold in the remaining corn, cilantro, cheddar cheese & salt. Set aside while you make the shrimp.
   
  Toss the shrimp in olive oil, chili powder, lime zest & salt.  In a medium saute pan, heat pan on high heat. Add the shrimp and saute until slightly firm and throughly cooked, about 3-4 minutes.

  Now, assemble! Spoon your creamy lusicous grits and top with your spiced up shrimp. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro if you are feeling fancy.

3 comments:

  1. Made this for dinner tonight and we ALL loved it!!! Thanks so much, its rare when I make something that we all like, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Love hearing that! I'll keep posting and hopefully give you some more ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete