Monday, July 9, 2012

Easy Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash

  It doesn't matter what time of year it is, I love a delicious bowl of soup. It's soul warming and over the years I have formed an affinity for turning what random ingredients I have on hand into a scrumptious bowl of yumminess. Every week or so for dinner I like to make soup & sandwiches. I know it's typically a lunch thing, but I thoroughly enjoy breakfast or lunch foods for dinner. It shakes things up!

  This lentil soup I decided to make on a whim tonight. The surprising inspiration same from the meal I made for my baby girl yesterday. (My wonderful little eater)


 I decided to make her lentils & veggies (cauliflower, butternut squash, shallot, & carrot). Of course I don't add any salt to her meals, to keep her as healthy as possible, but  my rule with myself is that I don't feed her anything I don't think think is truly delicious. Sometimes I even surprise myself sometimes with what I can get her to eat! Want to know a secret?? If you saute some shallot and a touch of chicken stock (STOCK, not broth...I'll tell u why in a sec) you can make ANY vegetable absolutely delectable! Even better if I fold in a bit of whole milk and a little fontina or parmesan cheese and even the pickest eater will find a new found love for even the earthiest of vegetables.

 So why is it important to have stock, not broth?? Well, #1- the richer flavor you achieve, of course. But most importantly the lower salt content! I was comparing nutrition labels because I am always concerned with the sodium in Lana's meals and the regular chicken stock was LOWER sodium than the Low-Sodium Chicken Broth!! I was shocked!! So it's a no-brainer.

 Needless to say, my husband and I loved the lentils I made her so much and I had so many leftover that I decided to make a soup for us out of it for dinner tonight. You will be surprised at how much flavor develops in this quick and easy soup!

 Here are a few of the major players...

 As you can see I used the steamed lentils. Mainly because I needed to make a quick meal for Lana. They worked great, but you can absolutely make this with dry lentils as well, it just may need to simmer longer.

 Easy Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash

1 lbs. steamed lentils (or dried lentils)
4 small or 3 medium carrots, diced
1 cup butternut squash, diced
1 large shallot, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced (yellow or white are fine as well)
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1 small parmesan rind (optional)
Kosher salt, Fresh Ground Pepper
Olive Oil

Start your foundation by sauteing the shallots and onion in a saucepot over medium heat until tender (about 2-3 minutes).



Should look like this



Next up, the carrots & butternut squash. They want to join the party too! Squash is such a great compliment to the lentils, that's why I chose it.


Add the thyme as well. Saute for about 5 minutes to let flavors start to develop.


Next comes the chicken stock. Yumminess is just around the corner!


Since I used already cooked lentils, I let this simmer for a while without the lentils. If you use dry lentils, add them at this point as well and simmer until everything is tender and cooked. You also want to reduce the liquids a bit to develop more flavor. Takes about 30-40 minutes if you have dry lentils. 15 minutes or so if not. This is also the point where I add my secret weapon...parmesan rind! Never throw these away, people! If you are going to spend all that money on the real deal (parmigiano reggiano), you don't want to waste a bit of it! I keep them in the freezer and throw them in most of my soups. They will break down a bit, but add great cheese, salty essence.

Add the parsley at this point as well.


This point is where I gave Lana a bath, and put her to bed. (With the pot on low heat, of course). I came down to this beautiful simmering loveliness. I added the lentils at this point. If you can let it simmer a while like I did to keep reducing the liquid, the more flavor you get and the thicker the soup will be.


 The last real steps is to puree & season. Take out about 2 cups of the broth & veggies (if you are like me and like to eat the chunky pieces of vegetables and really taste that butternut squash. Puree what's left in your pot until relatively smooth (it will be a bit textured, but that's ok!)


Add the reserved veggies back into the soup, season with salt & fresh pepper to taste. If it taste flat, you need salt!! Don't be afraid! I added about 2 tsp or so. (maybe a heavy hit of hot sauce is cool too)




  This is what you are left with. Yummy, happy-belly soup. I put a drizzle of good olive oil as a garnish with some crack pepper & of course some toasted crostinis or croutons are heavenly to dip.

 Enjoy!!

 Easy Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash (serves 4)

1 lbs. steamed lentils (or dried lentils)
4 small or 3 medium carrots, diced
1 cup butternut squash, diced
1 large shallot, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced (yellow or white are fine as well)
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1 small parmesan rind (optional)
Kosher salt, Fresh Ground Pepper
Olive Oil

Saute the shallots and onion in a saucepot over medium heat until tender (about 2-3 minutes). Add the carrots, butternut squash and thyme. Saute for about 5 minutes to let flavors start to develop. Next add the chicken stock, parmesan rind (optional), and parsley. Since I used already cooked lentils, I let this simmer for a while without the lentils. If you use dry lentils, add them at this point as well and simmer until everything is tender and cooked. Takes about 30-40 minutes if you have dry lentils. 15 minutes or so if using cooked. (the longer you simmer, the better it will taste)

Take out about 2 cups of the broth & veggies (if you are like me and like to eat the chunky pieces of vegetables and really taste that butternut squash. Puree what's left in your pot until relatively smooth (it will be a bit textured, but that's ok!)

Add the reserved veggies back into the soup, season with salt & fresh pepper to taste. If it taste flat, you need salt!! Don't be afraid! I added about 2 tsp or so. (maybe a heavy hit of hot sauce is cool too). Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog =). We will have to trade recipes some day Candice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I'd love to see a few of your recipes too!:)

    ReplyDelete