Monday, January 27, 2014

Super Easy Crockpot Apple Butter



  I have to be honest, I never made a fruit "butter" before. My sister had the magic question..."is there butter in it?" Nope! I literally is just the fruit, some sugar & spice cook down so long it concentrates and has a buttery, velvety consistency. How easy is that??

  You can put it on toast (classic), waffles, you can stuff it in a turnover, in a cinnamon roll, mix it with nuts and spread on brie cheese, make a pie or cake with it. Put it in mason jars like I did, give it to family & friends and look like a rock star. Whoa why am I just NOW making this?? Either way, I'm happy I finally know how easy it is and how darn delicious!!


Super Easy Crockpot Apple Butter (makes about 4 cups)

5 lbs apples (I used a combo of Granny Smith & Gala)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch salt

Peel & slice those apples

 
Toss them in a crock pot with the remaining ingredients
 
(I had a very ambitious day making apple butter & buttermilk banana-blueberry bread with a very eager taste tester)
 
Cook on High in the crockpot for 4 hours. Transfer the apple mixture into a food processor (or blender) and puree until smooth. At this point it is very yummy spiced applesauce.

 But let's take it a step further and cook it for an additional 4 hours UNCOVERED on high. It will turn a deep brown and thicken quite a bit. You can stir it occasionally. When it's done, it will be so luscious and spicy (in the cinnamony way). If you are uncertain about it being finished, just place a tiny bit on a cold plate and if it has a lot of watery liquid around it, it's not done. If it stays pretty thick with a little moisture, its perfect. (the 8 total hours should be enough though)

 
It's good in the fridge for about 3 weeks & 3 months in the freezer.
 
Sweeeeeeet!
Enjoy





No comments:

Post a Comment