Thursday, March 26, 2015

The BEST Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Frosting


 Let me start by making a few bold statements about this recipe. 

First: If I only could make & eat one classic chocolate cake/cupcake for the rest of my life, this would be it. 

Second: I cannot think of when I've had a better chocolate frosting. Seriously. It's FABULOUS

 I love all chocolate. I'm a certified chocoholic. Borderline obsessed. Bittersweet, semi-sweet, milk, they all have their place. Even white chocolate (which only half counts...but I can put it to good use sometimes) 

 When it comes to cake, I'm extremely picky. Too dry, too dense, not chocolatey enough. That's typically the issues I always run into when making or eating chocolate cakes. Don't even get me started about store bought cake...I will not TOUCH it if it came from a grocery store. YUCK!!! As my mom says, you can taste the shortening coating your tongue when you eat it! Right?? Please don't do that to your kids, or loved ones. This cake is not difficult and will make you realize why I won't waste the calories on crappy cake. (Sorry, but there's just some things I'm snobby about) 

 The cake in this recipe is soooo rich and so chocolatey while staying moist and not at all dense. It's a wonderful balance and the most shocking part??...they are unbelievable even when made Gluten Free!! I'm not on a gluten free diet...as you've probably guessed. But I first made this cake for my hair dresser's wedding cake sample. And I was completely shocked that I couldn't taste the difference! The texture was still beautiful & tender. I will share with you the flour I used, so I CANNOT speak for other gluten free flours working as well. (I never claimed to know much about the Gluten Free lifestyle, but I do know what tastes great, and this did)

So let's talk frosting. I feel like with a rich, dark chocolate cake you need a milk chocolate frosting to balance it out. This is such a wonderful, wonderful recipe!! It has a luscious milk chocolate flavor and creamy, lush texture. It's quite heavenly. What makes it such a standout is that I use lots of melted, good quality milk chocolate! 

All I can say when this cake & frosting marry is, "WOW."

This is the only chocolate cupcake recipe you will ever need. It will impress friends, wow your family, and satisfy that chocolate craving better than anything out there. 

Let me give you a tip: Unless you are making a wedding/speciality cake, or you live in the desert with no air conditioning, Do NOT refrigerate your cake. You can make the most light, moist, beautiful cake and a few hours in the fridge and the texture will never be the same. It will still taste great, but there's nothing better than a cake at room temperature. So leave those beautiful cupcakes out to display on your counter and make your friends salivate! ;) 

 This recipe can be used to make a classic 3 layer cake instead of cupcakes. It also is 2 of the 3 components of my Perfect German Chocolate Cake (which I will post soon, I promise!!) As well as the Chocolate Cake Pop recipe I am making tomorrow, so I am also planning to post pics. See?? So versatile! Stay tuned for those great variations using this recipe! 



Look at this beautiful face! I take no responsibility for her being as much of a chocoholic as I am. 



Just EAT these NOW!! 

The BEST Rich Chocolate Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Frosting (makes about 3 dozen cupcakes)
 
For the cake:
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 cup brewed coffee (It really just brings out the flavor of the chocolate)
2 cups milk (or full fat coconut milk)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups cake flour (or this rice flour for gluten free. I was truly impressed by this flour. I found it at Sprouts)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
 
 
Milk Chocolate Frosting:
2 cups chopped milk chocolate or milk chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips- any grocery store)
2 sticks butter, softened
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups powdered sugar
5-6 tablespoons milk (or more)
 
I don't have a ton of pictures, sorry. But you get the idea! It's really quite easy. 
 
  Preheat oven to 350ºF.

  Combine the butter and cocoa and cook on the stove or in the microwave until melted. Slowly add the coffee and milk, whisking to combine. Add the sugars, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.

  Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the rest and mix just until combined. Fill muffin pan lined with paper liners or sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out mostly clean.


 Cool slightly before removing from muffin pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: (I do this while the cake is baking)

 Melt the chocolate (I do it in the microwave). If you're using chocolate chips instead of baking chocolate, make sure you turn your microwave power way down and stir often. Beat together the melted chocolate and butter. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla.

 
  Alternately add the powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency is reached. This makes a thick, creamy frosting. Mmmmm.....










No comments:

Post a Comment