Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Donut Experiment: Day 1- Chocolate/Vanilla Glazed Cake Donuts


 Ok, besides my baby sister, I don't know  anyone that can't say they don't love or crave a good donut. Donuts are probably my biggest weakness of all sweets. I could inhale 10 in a sitting if my conscious allowed me (and I didn't mind gaining 100 lbs). I see them and I WANT one so bad! Cake donuts, yeast donuts, old fashion, fritters, you name it. Omg so good!! On my birthday My husband brought me a HUGE box of fresh donuts for breakfast and I was in hog heaven. And I felt like a hog afterwards (haha) Yes, I know...I have a problem. So as much as I adore that beautiful fluffy fried dough dipped in scrumptious glaze, I just don't find myself in many donut shops. I actually rarely eat them. How can I??? You read how in love I am..I'm a danger to myself! I want another one just talking about one, I have no self control. Argh!! Curse you, tasty donuts!!!!

 Even with all of my pastry training & skills I have actually never attempted to make REAL DEAL donuts. Just baked donuts (which only HALF count as a donut, by the way). Not. The. Same....sorry. 

 I want to make a donut that I close my eyes and I feel like I bought it from the local donut shop, Ya know? So this is my new quest. I'm calling it The Donut Experiment. 

 I will share with you my ups & downs and my honest opinion hopefully getting some excellent donuts out of this. For my own health, I will be pacing this experiment. With my lack of self control around donuts, I'm gunna have to let a few days go by in between recipe testing. ;) this will be an ongoing series until I have my favorites in the following categories:

Cake Donut (plain & glazed)
Yeast Donut (chocolate & maple bars)
Old Fashion (chocolate & vanilla glazed)

 I'm starting pretty basic. Cake donuts with chocolate glaze. Then I decided to try a vanilla glaze as well which was a great idea. I actually loved the vanilla bean glaze I threw together. 
 

 My oldest (Lana) is helping me in my experiment. Not many kids are gunna pass up the opportunity to make donuts with mom, right? As you can see Lana  adorned ours with some fun springtime sprinkles. Adorable! 

(On a 1 to 10 scale)

 Official Rating for this recipe is: 7

My comments about it is this: Decent texture. Flavor is good, not great. Needs more spice (nutmeg). Next day they were a little more dry and a touch stale. Chocolate glaze was intensely chocolatey when still wet. When it dries it tastes a lot like the chocolate glazes you get in a donut shop...WIN! Would I be impressed if someone made them for me? Heck Yeah! Do they taste like the donuts you get in a donut shop? No. Therefore...testing in this category will go on. But here is the recipe to try for yourself!



 
Chocolate or Vanilla Glazed Cake Donuts (makes about 1 dozen)
 
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour,( plus more for rolling out dough) (I'd also try cake flour to make it lighter if you have it)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg (or cinnamon) < I'd at least double this amount so make it 1/2 tsp
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
5 Tbs unsalted butter, melted & cooled
2 tsp vanilla extract
Oil for frying (I used vegetable)

Sprinkles of choice (optional)
 
Yummy Chocolate Glaze:
 
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbs light corn syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbs cocoa powder
 
Simple Vanilla Glaze:
 
2 Tbs milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste if you like the fleck of real vanilla...which I do!)
1 cup powered sugar
 
For both glazes: In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients together all ingredients until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap (plastic wrap touching the glaze to seal out air) and set aside until ready to use. If glazes are too thick, add a touch more liquid. If too liquidy, add more powered sugar. Should be a somewhat thick liquid, but not firm like cake frosting.
 



 For Donuts: In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & nutmeg. Make a well in the center .

 In a large measuring glass, whisk together milk, butter, egg & vanilla. Pour into center of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix! The dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.



 Heat oil in a large pot or fryer with at least 2 inches of oil. Use a candy thermometer to gauge the oil temp and heat to 350 degrees.

After dough is chilled place on a well floured surface & flour rolling pin. Roll dough out to about 1/2 in thickness. Cut donuts using a donut cutter, or I used a larger & small circle cutters because that's just what I had. Don't have a cutter? Cut them in squares! Why not?? Use whatever you got and cut them to whatever shapes you want. (And save the centers for donut holes!) As you can see I had a very eager & adorable helper! (My daughter Lana)



Gently place a few donuts on a time in the oil. Fry for about about 2-3 min per side, or until golden brown. I used chopsticks to flip them (works perfect!!). Set finished donuts on a tray lined with paper towels to drain. 



Let cool slightly before adding the glaze of your choice. And add if you are adding sprinkles, this is the time, before the glaze dries. Lana can NEVER pass up sprinkles! Her favorite. I bought her some springtime sprinkles for the occasion :) 


Then let cool to room temp before eating. I don't know why, but they have more flavor when they sit and cool. and also give the glaze time to set. Devour & enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment