Monday, November 3, 2014

Luscious Crab Salad


 What I find humorous about this post is that for most of my life I (thought) I hated seafood. Probably because the few times of bravery taking a bite of a seafood dish as a child was a mouthful of fishy, poorly cooked grossness.  I didn't know the difference in seafood quality. I thought that Red Lobster was this really fancy place because lobster was in the title & therefore it must be the shining example of what all seafood should be....right???  Haha!! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they make good stuff.... and I don't want to defend Red Lobster lovers. But in the early 90's it was a bit sketchy. If it is going to be your first time trying seafood, I don't know if it would reflect the beauty of what seafood is & can be. It wasn't until I worked in the restaurant business in fine dining that I tried my first California roll made with real crab by people that knew what they were doing. From there it was halibut, Seabass, skate, and my love of seafood grew from there.

 Crab has become a particular favorite.  Sweet & delicate. One of those special foods my husband & I love to indulge in from time to time. This recipe is such a great way to highlight the beauty of crab. So light. A bit of refreshing crunch from fresh vegetables. A hint of fresh herbs & my perfect pairing companions are buttery avocado & a crunchy crostini for added texture. Such a well balanced dish. And did I mention extraordinary EASY!!

 Perfect for an impressive party appetizer (recipe is easily doubled or tripled). Last night it was our dinner! (Along with some leftover pumpkin risotto) Mmmmmmm... break open a glass of white wine & have a fabulous night!





Lucious Crab Salad (serves 2 as a first course or 4 as a light hors d'oeuvre)

8 oz. good quality lump crab meat (or premium lump) 
2 Tbs diced cucumber
2 Tbs diced red onion
2 Tbs diced red pepper 
2 tsp fresh basil, chiffonade 
2 tsp fresh mint, chiffonade 
About 1/4 cup mayo
1 Tbs Sriracha hot chile sauce 
Squeeze of fresh lime
Kosher Salt & Fresh ground Pepper to taste

Crostini:
1 small French baguette, ciabatta bread or favorite good quality bakery bread
Olive oil
Kosher salt & Fresh ground Pepper

1/2 large avocado (or 1 small)
 Fresh basil or micro greens as garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice bread in 1/4 inch slices. Line in a sheet pan & drizzle generously with olive oil, salt & pepper.



Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown & bread feels firm in the center (crunchy). Let cool & set aside. 



 Meanwhile in a medium bowl, mix crab salad ingredients. Taste for seasoning. Take care to not over salt. It only needs a generous pinch or two. It's that simple.







 (Man, I wish I had more crab salad right now....) 
 
I like to plate mine in a fun martini glass. I like to pretend we are fancy, but we are sooo not ;) 

Garnish with slices of ripe avocado & those fabulous crunchy crostinis. Enjoy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment