Monday, November 3, 2014

Southwest Creamy Tortilla Soup





  I don't know if I should be calling this a Southwest soup (because of the green chiles & corn) or a tortilla soup (because that's basically what it tastes like). So I decided to make it a combo. No matter what it's called, it's damn delicious!

 Maybe because I feel a cold coming on as I type this, or because it's finally getting really chilly in the evenings but soup is so soul soothing. I'd rather have a soup like this than chicken noodle any day. It's got chunks of tender chicken & fresh corn. A little heat from the jalapeños & wonderful depth from the spices & cilantro. Just to top it of, I put a touch of cream & sour cream/ to give the broth a more velvety mouth feel. It's hearty and not all broth (I feel like I'm getting ripped off when I get a soup that is so sparse with the ingredients & all broth. That's NOT the case with this soup!) Am I making you hungry yet?? I think I'm ready for another bowl right about now! 

 My husband gave it a "Wow, babe! This is awesome!" & told me it was one of my best soups! (And I make some bomb soups, people). I hope you make this and I hope it warms up your evening too!

Southwest Creamy Tortilla Soup (Serves 6-8)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced small
1 medium onion, diced 
1 red pepper, diced (optional)
1 (32oz) container chicken stock
1 can tomatoes with green chiles (I used Rotel)
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can whole roasted green chiles, diced (I like to dice them myself)
2 ears of corn, removed from cob (yes you can use frozen corn- about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
3 jalapeños, seeded & diced
About 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sour cream
2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
Kosher salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
Vegetable oil 

Garnishes:
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Grated pepper jack cheese
Sour cream 
Tortilla strips
Diced avocado 

Start by sautéing the onions in a few tablespoons of oil for about 2-3 minutes. Add the jalapeños & garlic to sweat for another minute. Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, a generous sprinkle of salt & pepper. I like to cook the spices dry this way to toast them a bit and give it a deeper flavor. 






Add the chicken stock, corn & red pepper. Simmer for a few minutes while you open the beans & chop the chiles. Add the beans, diced tomatoes (Rotel), green chiles, fresh cilantro & the diced chicken. 





I like to start the soup early & have it simmer for about 1 hour on very low. If you want it faster, only simmer it for 15 min once you add the chicken so it's not overcooked. If you simmer it for an hour like me, the chicken gets more fall apart tender. 

 Add the cream and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes. Stir in sour cream & serve.
 


 Garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocado, tortillas & fresh cilantro. 















No comments:

Post a Comment