Monday, November 24, 2014

The BEST Sausage-Apple Stuffing


 Strong claim, I know. But honestly this stuffing recipe has been in my family for many more years that I have been on this planet & I've really never had stuffing anywhere that holds a candle to it. It's ALWAYS moist, savory, has a perfect combination of flavors that scream HOLIDAY! It doesn't invove a crazy amount of ingredients & it super easy to put together. Make this for Thanksgiving and you won't be disappointed! 

 Just note that it's important to use stale bread so run to the store NOW and buy that bread! You can also make the stuffing a day ahead and just pop it in the oven on party day. I served this last night and even though it turned out fabulous, my dad told me to double the recipe and we didn't even touch the second dish! It was SOOO much! We hosted 16 people and still had a little bit left in the 1st dish. We also had a large menu so everyone just took a scoop. If you are having a more limited menu or you want a lot of leftovers you may want to make more. It's up to you. Stuffing is my most coveted of all thanksgiving leftovers, so I was not upset about having too much :)

You can see by this pic, it was a FEAST! We have some really wonderful neighbors and decided to get our families together for our 1st Annual "Friends-giving"! Name coined by our neighbor's son. It was wonderful & I can't wait for next year already. I've got lots more recipes coming from this dinner, so I hope you enjoy them all! 







The BEST Sausage-Apple Stuffing Serves 12 (or more!)

2 One-pound loaves of French bread
2-3 cups chicken stock or water (my dad uses water, I thought chicken stock just adds more depth)
1 yellow onion, chopped
6 celery stalks, chopped
1-2 apples (Fiji, Gala, or MacIntosh preferred)
1 can water chestnuts, chopped (optional but delicious!)
1 16oz pkg Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage (my dad uses the regular Jimmy Dean sausage, I tried out the sage flavored one and it was wonderful too!) 
Kosher Salt & Fresh ground pepper 


First thing, cube your bread whatever size you prefer, bite size is good. Lay them out on a cookie sheet and have them get stale overnight or 2-3 days is even better!



In a large sauté pan, sauté onions & celery over medium-high heat. Season with salt & pepper and cook until onions just start to sweat (turn translucent). Turn off heat & set aside to slightly cool. 



 In a large bowl add you bread and pour chicken stock over it a cup at a time to moisten it. Toss the bread & add more until the outsides of the cubes start to soften & get a bit soggy. The bread will soak up a lot since its stale. 



Peel & dice your apples. Add them to the bread bowl. 




Next add the rest of your ingredients. Sausage, sautéed onion/celery, water chestnuts. Yes, raw sausage. It is the KEY to moist, flavorful, heavenly stuffing! You get all the juices from the sausage infused in the bread! Genius, right?? 



 Now use your greatest kitchen tools you have, your hands! Mix, mix, mix! I love to mix by hand. Makes me feel like I'm really  cooking with love when I get my hands dirty. :) 

 Spray a large casserole dish 9x13 or equivalent with non-stick spray & fill it with your stuffing. If your dish is too small, don't overfill it, it puffs up while cooking and can make a mess. So just get another dish & fill that too. I doubled the recipe & you can see it filled these deep gratin dishes! 



You can make ahead and cover & chill in the fridge for up to 2 days.

 On the day of, bake in a 350 oven, loosely covered for 50 minutes. Then uncover and bake an additional 15-20 min. I like to use an instant read thermometer to make sure it's completely cooked through (165 degrees minimum)

 I forgot to get a picture of it right out of the oven, but it's glorious! Enjoy!!
 














No comments:

Post a Comment