Saturday, November 22, 2014

Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars


 You'll need to, no wait...you HAVE to make these as soon as physically possible. I tried to get these out in time for Thanksgiving. If you want to bring the STAR dessert, move over boring pumpkin pie, these pecan bars are where it's AT!! This may be a strong claim, and everyone has their personal taste, but these are one of the best dessert bars I've ever had. Omg! I'm so obsessed I keep cutting off a piece here, a piece there & I hate them because they are not going to help my weight loss goals. But I want them every day of my life! (You see how emotional I am about a dessert, here...) 

  They are also unbelievably easy to make, I couldn't believe it. I'm not even a big pecan pie fan, nuts in general I usually leave out of desserts because they just don't appeal to me very often in sweets, but these drew me in and knocked my socks off.



  They have this perfect shortbread crust, and a gooey, extra decadent chocolatey, brown sugar caramely, nutty top layer that is DIVINE!! I hit a few snags with this recipe, but it worked out just fine. So if yours look a little different than mine, don't worry. I goofed and forgot to add the vanilla & salt to the caramel mix until I was about to put it in the oven. I carefully tried to mix it on the top without ruining the cookie layer & the chocolate chips melted all into it. So the top of my bars looked almost like a dark chocolate brownie. I also don't think I kept mine in the oven long enough because even though it was bubbling, when it cooled for hours, it was still too soft and loose on top. I popped them in the fridge & they firmed up perfectly and have an almost fudgy texture. HEAVEN!!! 

  Tomorrow a few of our neighbors and our families decided to start a new tradition and do a pre-thanksgiving dinner together since we will be with our families on Thursday. This is why I made these & I'm very excited to see what everyone else thinks! My husband was impressed, and my 3 year old (however she thinks anything in "gummy" form is dessert artistry). HAHA!  I will be trying to post a few more great Thanksgiving ideas in the next day or so, since I am making so many yummy things for tomorrow. This is just the beginning, people...so loosen your pant belt ;)

Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars
courtesy of: Averie Cooks

Crust
1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft (1 stick)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
pinch salt, optional and to taste

Filling
8 ounces roasted salted pecans, halves or pieces okay; about 2 cups
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

 
Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside. These are pretty sugary, so foil makes clean up a breeze.
 
  In a large bowl, combine all crust ingredients (I used my hands, it's much easier), cut butter into dry ingredients until evenly distributed and pea-sized lumps and sandy bits form. The softer the butter is, the quicker and easier it is.
 
Turn mixture out into prepared pan and pack down firmly with a spatula or hands to create an even, uniform, flat crust layer. Then sprinkle the pecans & chocolate chips. Set aside. (I know this is not an 8x8 pan, that is because I doubled the recipe. But I am posting the standard recipe for you. If you DO want to double it, use a 9x13 pan instead.
 

In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, whipping cream, and heat on high power for 1 minute to melt. Remove bowl from microwave and whisk until mixture is smooth; it's okay if butter hasn't completely melted.



Return bowl to microwave and heat for 1 minute on high power. Remove bowl and whisk until mixture is smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and salt! (I forgot this part until after I poured it!) Evenly pour the caramel sauce over the chocolate chips and pecans.
 
Bake for about 30 to 32 minutes, or until caramel is bubbling vigorously around edges, with bubbling to a lesser degree in center. Allow bars to cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 3 hours, or overnight before slicing and serving. If you have the same problem as myself & the caramel seems too gooey, just chill them in the fridge & keep them in there until ready to serve. They are easier to cut that way. If not, the bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Your welcome.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment